Sunday, April 29, 2007

10 Days in a Row


It's been over a month since I quit smoking, so no more non-smoking status. You can assume from now on, that is my status at all times. Non-smoker. Yay. (although I had a dream last night that I was smoking. When I woke up I thought, whew! I didn't break my promise!)

On the reading pile: I picked up a literary journal out of Seattle called Cranky.
And contrary to the fact that their press is called Failed Promise, it is a fine, fine journal. Small press, yes, small minded, no. They're in stores, they've got staff, and they publish quality work. Many kudos.

I picked up the journal while I was at Burning Word: The Festival of Poetic Fire (not to be confused with Burning Man: the Festival of Naked Hippies). BW is put on by the Washington Poets Association every April at Greenbank Farms on Whidbey Island in Washington State. Great festival, very organized, with an enthusiastic audience. The headliners were George Bowering (Canada's first Poet Laureate) and the always fabulous Naomi Shihab Nye.

I got a question from someone asking what happens if I miss a day on my 10-Day Challenge. Well, generally I don't miss a day. That's the idea. That's the commitment.

But the question is relevant because I missed a day. Actually I missed a few days. My traveling to Washington and the fact that I'm moving right now put a little tweak in my plans. What I personally do when something like this happens is that I start over. The 10-Day challenge means 10 days in a row. So if I get through 7 days and then miss a day, I start over. This has only happened to me once before on a challenge (it was a 21 day challenge, too), and I had to start over three times. But I finally did it. After going 18 days and missing a day, I started over for the third and last time. It was a great motivator.

So, honestly, I've written for my hour only three times in the past week. So, I'm starting over on the challenge. An hour per day, 10 days in a row.

Tell me you success stories!

No comments: