Saturday, April 14, 2007

Requiem (Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007)

My flag's been flying at 1/2 mast all week for one of my favourite writers. As John Stewart said, "The world just got a little less interesting."

So it goes.

A friend of mine sent me the following, a poem at the end of Time Quake, which is one of the few Vonnegut books I haven't read. There's time. I'm sure it will land in my lap when I need it most.

(from his last book 'Time Quake'):

When the last living thing

has died on account of us,

how poetical it would be

if Earth could say,

in a voice floating up

perhaps

from the floor

of the Grand Canyon,

“It is done.”

People did not like it here.


How Vonnegut, I told my friend, to be so Sad and so Beautiful and so True all at the same time.

Me, I'm still reading Edward Tulane and it's lovely. The illustrations are classic, the story is well-told. I love the tone and the character of Edward, also sad and beautiful.

From the non-fiction pile, I'm reading The Automatic Millionaire Homeowner (Canadian edition) by David Bach. In 2004, Baby and I promised each other that we'd buy a house on the Sunshine Coast. Well, we keep our promises, dammit! My, three years went by fast! Next year is 2008, so I'm cramming for the test.

On the writing pile, as MUCH as I am itching to start the sequel to Brigitta (working title: The Ruins of Noe), I have decided to complete a few other projects first. April is the month for completing projects! I'll start on RoN when we settle into our new place. Until then, I'm polishing my feature script The Mercy of Silence, for a local producer who requested it. Then I'm going to finish putting the novel version of Brigitta back into the screenplay.

I'm thinking another 10-day challenge is in order. Hmmm...

Oh, and B&F are taking Brigitta to the London Book Fair in 2 days! I can't even express how grateful and how excited I am.

2 comments:

WriterForHire said...

I remember going through my Vonnegut phase in my late teens. I think I read all of his books in one summer. He will certainly be missed.

Bookfinder said...

Thanks for the tip on Edward Tulane. I'm reading it to my kids. It has such a classic look to it.

It's not too old for the young and not too young for the old. In a Velvateen Rabbity kind of way.