Sunday, April 1, 2007

Results Are Us! (aka Brigitta Does London)

(It's been over a month since I blogged, I've been very busy. I went to a 4 day seminar, produced a film festival, and worked on set. whew!)

On the Reading pile: Sophie's World (YA novel, a mystery that also explains the history of philosophy... it's all right, but it took me a while to get into it), Bird by Bird (book about life and writing by Anne Lamott), Busting Loose from the Money Game (for the third time, because it's one of those books you have to read over and over again), and The Ultimate Filmmakers Guide to Short Films (because I have 2 friggin' films in post and we're shooting another one this June).

So, yesterday I quit smoking. It's been 24 hours. I made a promise to myself to quit. We learned in Monkey Business School that promises are more powerful than goals.

I sat on the front porch in the sun and closed my eyes. I visualized myself leaping around in happiness, taking full and deep breaths, riding a bike, feeling healthy and strong, etc.

Then I visualized receiving and accepting $650,000 into my life. This number has been popping up in my mind over and over again for the past 4 months. I have the number taped to my wall. I read it and say it out loud and picture it every day. Yesterday I simply pictured a check for that amount being handed to me and seeing that number in my bank account.

Everyone around me knows I'm big on visualization. Here's one I've been having since Christmas:

I'm puttering around the house. Straightening up, being domestic, clearing the clutter. The phone rings. It's an agent. We chat and joke for a few minutes (friendly small talk). Then he tells me how much he (at first my vision was a she, but somewhere along the way it changed to a he and I'm not sure why) loves Brigitta.

Well yesterday afternoon, 20 mins after that last cigarette, I got the call.

It was EXACTLY as I had visualized it. I was cleaning up around the house (yes, it's true). The phone rang. I thought "who's calling from New York?" The man asked for Da-NI-ka. I corrected his pronunciation and he laughed. He said they'd been wondering how to pronounce it. Then he told me who he was and my heart stopped (figuratively, no need to call the hospitals).

My vision was so clear in my mind that the whole experience felt like deja vous.

After leaping around the house screaming "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" for a full fifteen minutes, I was in stun mode the rest of the day. Now i'm in "what the heck do I do now?" mode. Guess I better contact all the other agents to let them know!

Here are the final numbers for the curious:

Total Queries: 33 agents and 3 publishers

fastest rejection from query: 6 minutes (i kid you not)

no reply to query: 19
no thanks (no partial request): 6
partials only (no full request): 8
requested fulls: 3
made offer: 1

In all fairness, twelve of those queries went out in the last 2 weeks, so they haven't had time to reply. That said, the average response from an e-query has been less than 2 weeks. I can't tell you the average response for a snail mail query, because none of them have responded yet.

So there you go. That's the story. For now.

Don't quit before the miracle happens, Beaver Chief always used to say. Or in MM speak: don't quit before the finish line.

Wow.

1 comment:

WriterForHire said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic. Can't wait to see it on the shelves.