Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Local News

My friend's husband seemed to be shocked that I didn't know someone had been shot a few miles from my house.

Hmmm, I said. Hadn't heard.

You have to pay attention to the local news, he exclaimed.

I do pay attention to the local news. The very local news. Did you know a pair of birds built a nest in the corner of our neighbor's roof and that the chicks have hatched? They greet me with little peeps every morning. Did you know there are no less than 6 mattresses and 5 TV sets in the rubble of the abandoned house down the street? Not to mention several folding chairs.

In May Sarton's book The Fur Person the protagonist is a cat. He calls staring out the window "reading the paper." My cats call it that, too. They read the early morning, mid morning, late morning, early afternoon, mid afternoon, late afternoon, early evening, mid evening, and late evening editions. They are very informed. They were the ones who told me about the birds.

No comments: