Monday, July 23, 2007

Assignments Week Nine - Basic Warm Up

Week Nine, wow. You're really heading for home now, or you might already be there! If you've been doing 10 pages per week since week three, you should be around page 70 now.

This week, we're going back to basics.

1) First, warm up by typing up more of your handwritten exercises for about 10-15 minutes. Again, this is great way to get those creative muscles moving. I have really enjoyed typing up my exercises because I've discovered useful ideas I had forgotten about.

2) Since we're just getting past that crunchy centre and I want you to keep things moving, we're going to return to a tried and true warm-up exercise:

The start line: The scene that needs to be written is... (5 minutes: short sentence wind up)

GO TO THE MIDDLE of that exercise and pull out a sentence. That's your next start line. (7 minutes: chaining)

GO TO THE MIDDLE of that exercise and pull out a sentence. That's your final start line. (10 minutes: long sentence release)

I call this the BASIC WARM UP. It's a great one to return to if you're blocked, it moves you into your next scene, and gets the pen moving.

3) Write your pages. Either 20 + 20 minutes, or 30 minutes, or 2-3 pages, whichever you prefer.

Pat yourself on the back for how FAR you've come!

Later this week, I will teach you a useful exercise that explores how any scene might be written differently. Until then, have a great week.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I love the warm up exercise. Great way to get the mind creative after a long day at the 'day job'.

The blog on scenes written differently sounds like something that will help me with my current wip. Can't wait!!

OpenChannel said...

Absolutely. For novelists and screenwriters alike.

I find, actually, that it doesn't really matter which warm-up exercise you do. It's about putting your pen to paper, getting back into your story, and opening yourself up to AHA moments.