Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - 13 Books Challenge (TT #3)


Thirteen Books I Have Been "Challenged" to Read
(graphic brought to you by Love All Books)

I like challenges, so when I came across Poodlerat's book challenge I knew I had to participate. I am admittedly a slow reader, so I'm doing a less ambitious challenge. It's taken me two weeks to finish American Gods by Neil Gaiman (which I recommend, but only if you are not easily offended by graphic descriptions of ancient gods being run over by cars or grossed out by things like "undead" characters coughing up maggots).

I think Poodlerat is reading something like 100 books in a year. Wow.

This week I asked 13 people to "assign" a book to me (It was easier than making my own list). My challenge is that I will read them all before the end of the year. (I asked specifically for fiction as I already read lots of non-fiction and some poetry).

The list is as follows (in no particular order):

1) Dr. Neruda's Cure for Evil by Rafael Yglasias (recommended by Jackie)

2) Seduction by Light by Al Young (recommended by Gwendolyn)

3) Was by Geoff Ryman (recommended by a producer I met)

4) The Alchemist by Paulo Cuelo (recommended by Ami the Llama)

5) Gravity’s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (recommended by Matt)

6) Hey, Nostradamus by Douglas Coupland (recommended by Erin the Tiger)

7) Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (recommended by Barbara)

8) The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (also recommended by Barbara)

9) A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (recommended by SuperFast Reader)

10) Fun Home by Alison Bechdel (recommended by Mickey) - technically "non-fiction" as it's autobiographical, but truth is in the eye of the beholder...

11) Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins (recommended by Baby)

12) Fifth Business by Robertson Davies (recommended by both Superfast and Poodlerat)

13) Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (also recommended by Poodlerat)


As a bonus I'm adding the new Harry Potter book, The Time Traveler's Wife, and The Da Vinci Code (I have mixed feelings about this one as friends say it's not all it's hyped up to be). So that's a total of 16 new works of fiction by the end of the year.

I noticed most of these are male authors, and I would have liked more balance, but I said I would read them, so I will.

Thanks for all your recommendations, folks! And please visit the websites of all the blogging book reviewers. They provide a great service.

10 comments:

Annie said...

Awesome list! Can't wait to read all your reviews... and that Poodlerat sure has good taste :)

Lori said...

Im not up for a book challenge...keep it simple and sweet:) Happy TT....

OpenChannel said...

Annie - Thanks, I feel like I have a duty to report now. Making challenges public places more pressure to do it. (a good thing)

Lori - Thanks for stopping by!

Lesley said...

What a lovely idea! I don't think I could do it. I noticed in all my lit classes that even if it's a book I'd absolutely love, if someone tells me I have to read it then it's no fun at all! I need to read the Da Vinci Code. And I just finished the last HP. I will say nothing whatsoever about it. *zips lips*

Poodlerat said...

It looks like an exciting list. I haven't read any of them other than the two I suggested, so I hope you're going to post reviews!

I read and reviewed The Da Vinci Code, but if you're not the kind of person who has a perverse desire to read books she's read bad reviews of, just to see if they're really so terrible, then I'd skip it until you've read the book.

Vicki said...

I can't do the challenge right now since I'm pushing towards the last third of the current wip. Which has a partial request. Must work on that first.

I love to read, silly statement I know. The problem is I now have to allow myself reading time as rewards for goals met.

There's a good reason for that. Once I start a book I'm not going to do anyting but read.

Hey make sure you check my blog...:)

Annie the Superfast Reader said...

I just tagged you for the Blogging Tips meme:

http://superfastreader.com/blogging-tips-meme-little-grrl-lost-by-charles-de-lint.htm

MyUtopia said...

Middlesex was really good.

Marina said...

ditto to what myutopia said...I should dig up my review from BookCrossing and post it on my blog.

I, too, have been reading more now that I've joined a few Challenges.

OpenChannel said...

Poodlerat - It's just one of those books I want to read just so I can get it over with. Haha. Seems like a good beach book.

Vicki - congrats on the partial! Crack that WIP.

Myutopia and Marina - thanks for stopping by!

Annie - I'm so new to the meme tag thing. I'll check it out. Don't know how much advice I can give... I'm still learning!