Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday Poetry Train #1

Several people have suggested I jump on the Poetry Train, so here I am. What a great idea and thanks for the invite.

This week's PT poem is from last week's Thursday Thirteen post. I've been exploring some old journals and last week I posted 13 first lines from 13 poems written in one particular journal.

I'm posting the whole poem (edited) as requested by SpyScribbler. The original is from Jan 2000. It's from an exercise in a workshop where we put a bunch of poem titles in a hat and each drew one out. The title then became the first line of our poem.


The Uniform of the Day

is morning blend or dark roast

it’s breathing slowly

when you wake up and realize

you are no longer married

even though in your dream you

skied together and he so tenderly

reminded you

again how to balance yourself


two letters came for him in the mail

and you didn’t open them

it was your mother who made you

afraid of breaking the rules

so as your hair flies in the wind

of a Mexican sunset

all you can think is

-put on your seat belt-


the uniform reminds you

we are bound by duty

you wear it when you don’t want

secrets to show

as you greet at the door

dreams of snow

letters in the mail

submerged in winter clothing


original: 1/19/00
rewritten: 8/11/07


See you next week!


From My Brain to Yours: Monday Poetry Train #17

7 comments:

Rhian / Crowwoman said...

This was great Danika!! Loved these lines especially:
"even though in your dream you
skied together and he so tenderly
reminded you
again how to balance yourself"

Welcome aboard the Train! It's has some incredible creative offerings this week.

spyscribbler said...

I love it! Okay, see, that's why I don't hop on the poetry train. That poem was awesome!

I needed a poem this morning, that's for sure. Thanks!

gautami tripathy said...

I especially liked the 2nd stanza. Great idea of an exercise.

OpenChannel said...

Thanks, Rhian. I was exploring every PT member's site last night and got lost. Easy to do in the world of blog.

Thanks for the original suggestion, SpyScribbler. And I think the PT is about not feeling pressure in any way, just having fun.

Guatami - thanks for stopping by!

Vicki said...

Loved the poem, Danika!! I'm so glad you're sharing them with us.

OpenChannel said...

Thanks, Vicki. Who was it that said the blog-o-sphere was one giant conversation? I really like that idea. I might blog about it... haha.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Only if you blog about it in a poem, Danika. (what a pretty name!)

Sorry I didn't stop by yesterday; how'd I miss you??? This was one of those things that I'd have been poorer for missing. I'm glad you listened to our spy; she's got good advice. And I'm glad to see you on the Train!!