Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday Poetry Train #3

For you, Vicki, I picked #9. Also, everyone seemed to be in a romantic/erotic mood. (actually, when are the Poetry Train folks NOT in the mood for it?)

It doesn't have a title... it's actually one of my 3:15 Experiment Poems from August 1997. I've mentioned this several times before, but every year since 1993 a shifting group of poets have been waking up every night at 3:15 AM during the month of August to write. We don't normally edit our 3:15 poems, because the idea is to find out what dream mind looks like on the page. I did take a few lines out of this one, though.

Again, all my spacing is off, and this poem has a lot of it... I still haven't figured out why blogger won't accept spaces, so I tried to indicate them with dashes instead.

POEM

Late up with moon and I
know your heart rests in
sound deep slumber

race my thoughts
by candlelight and longing
tempt myself with touch
-
smooth - dark - wise

cheating the cheater

defeating boundaries
of fields where I
once met you
too quiet to love
too soft to fear

In this moment
let there be a smaller moment
a frame - stop
chasing after things
you’ll only get your feet dirty
and lose all else behind you

no return

There is a moon and a girl
and a lover of magic
they are all snake charmers, but
only one will get bitten

the others remember how
to heal themselves

It goes beyond names, being
able to name
makes memory one moment

and leaves the girl hungry
for reptile blood

A prize for the person who can spot the most metaphors. Haha.

Have a great week!

5 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, that's cool. If only my dream self could create such neat stuff. It tends to be a lot of nonsense.

I think.

Vicki said...

I love that poem. As far as the metaphors I'm thinking there are 3?

You have such a fab way with words.

Rhian / Crowwoman said...

oh i like this one! Sorry to be late coming by- work today..yuck.
So many lines i like but this stanza is clinging to my brain and thrumming through my blood:
"defeating boundaries
of fields where I
once met you
too quiet to love
too soft to fear"
Thanks for sending Frank over! Love his writings.
And yeah - we PT peeps love us some erotica.

OpenChannel said...

Thanks for stopping by, ladies. I actually cringed a bit typing this one in because it's 10 years old. It doesn't sound like me any more (where I am or what I'd write), but happy to share.

Vicki - leave it to you to actually go back and look for the metaphors. Haha.

Susan - we are at the final days of this year's 3:15 Experiment, being that it is August. It's such an amazing thing to wake up the next morning not being totally clear what you were writing the night before. Sometimes I don't remember it at all. Riding that state between waking and sleeping can be tricky.

Vicki said...

You said to look for them. I follow the rules...lol, okay, maybe not all of them. :D

Check out the video on my blog. This guy's pretty good with what he does.