Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - 13 Start Lines from 13 Poems (TT#5)

Thirteen Start Lines from 13 Poems
(graphic brought to you by Love All Books)

After the last TT, you can't blame me for wanting to do something easier this week, so sorry if you were expecting another elaborate performance. It was fun, though, wasn't it?

Last week's project inspired me to look more thoroughly through all my old journals and mine them for gems. I'm thinking I could make this old journal exploration into a weekly theme here at TT, but we'll see how it goes. If nothing else, I've learned I'll never run out of things to edit. Ever.

This week's TT is a list of thirteen first lines from thirteen poems I found in one particular journal. And because I'm feeling nostalgic, here's a photo of a page of that journal:


This page is an exercise similar to the "place the rock" over the writing exercise from last week. I do this sometimes instead if I can't get a hold of a rock.



i.
How much would you say you are worth
in dollars and cents?

ii.
I know that I am no longer the fragile weapon we discovered one slow night under a rain-tapped roof.

iii.
In dreams we are cosmic companions and Charles Barklay is president.

iv.
He knew everything. No really, he did.

v.
I am not here to entertain you.

vi.
epiphaneia ~ the appearance, the arrival,
of a divinity among mortals

vii.
Greetings from the Land of False Emotions: you are insane
and I can't love you like you think I can.

viii.
Young Angel of Cleopatra eyes - beyond which lie the only
fixed Truths of the universe...

ix.
You think therefor you are
gravitational

x.
This is weight
I've put on your body is furniture

xi.
I am up late because of
next to you

xii.
Everything has become our small business

xiii.
The uniform of the day is morning blend
or dark roast


(After everyone's comments below, I've decided to JUMP aboard the Monday Poetry Train, so let me know which line is most intriguing and I'll type/edit that one up for Monday.)

Have a great rest of your week.




12 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Cool!

Have you had any thoughts about joining the Monday Poetry Train at Rhian's place?

Christine said...

Love the photo of your journal. Great idea for a TT. I am a first time visitor to your site - will definitely be back!

The Crux said...

Very interesting and enjoyable list.

OpenChannel said...

Thanks for stopping by, Christine.

Susan - It sounds like fun (poetry, trains, what else do you need?) but when I clicked on the link to Rhian's site from you blog I got an error.

Lisa Andel said...

You're not on the Poetry Train? You should be. This would have gone over great!

I'm cracking up at some of these because they look so strange without the rest of the text.

Suprina said...

Wonderful list. I love a few of these.
Happy T13!

Ann said...

Cool list, I loved the picture of your journal. See you Monday on the poetry train, and have a great weekend.

OpenChannel said...

Lisa - hey, thanks for stopping by. Actually, some of the poems are strange even WITH the rest of the text.

Crux, Suprina - thanks for stopping by.

OpenChannel said...

Ann - thanks! I'll be there if I can figure out how it works.

Vicki said...

Those are great! I'd love to read one of them :)

OpenChannel said...

Thanks, Vicki - you may get to.

If I jump on the Monday Poetry Train, I could type up and edit one of these... OOOOH, maybe I could have people vote?

Yeah, everyone... tell me which one you want me to type up and edit for my first Monday Poetry Train entry!

spyscribbler said...

I vote for #13! I should try a haiku sometime, for Monday!

Happy TT!