Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday Poetry Train #5

I am almost finished typing up the last of my 3:15 poems. If you get a chance, check out this year's 3:15 Experiment website. So far, only five poets have posted their work as it usually takes a while to type them all up after a month of writing. Heck, this is the earliest I've had mine typed up in years. Ever, maybe.

In any case, my 3:15's pale in comparison to the other poets up there right now and I'm not being modest. I'd give mine lukewarm applause this year and I'm not sure why I was so uninspired. I like last year's much better.

In any case, this is one of my favourites, I think, because it is so wonderfully 3:15ish. It's got a quote from a book I was reading that day, a list of things I saw on my bike commute, some dream images, and then a complete surreal left turn at the end.

August 29

Magical flight bird like
bicycle across the deep
horizon whirlwind of days
paper boats in the hands of men
dangling construction toys for
a growing generation

Albino Chinese girl w/ sunglasses
strolling with mother gleaming skin
white the absence of colour
white the total completion
of love - expelled
expressed two-thousand miles away
by phone - by thought - transportation
of deities in small things
chocolate bars or hoop dreams

I am a writer because the story is me
waking up in the White Forest the
characters of my own subconscious
cast spells say
make it so
every story is a living intelligence
D said
Just because it was all in your mind
doesn’t mean it wasn’t real

My mind saw ships today
raindrops on the steps of the library
closed for the strike
matching footsteps to heartbeats
twirling baton eyes made to
dance on demand
you can’t frown if you’re skipping
down the street, try it – I say to K.
Testing reality is like building
a sandwich. All aboard and
don’t forget the cheese.


JUMP ABOARD Rhian's Poetry Train.

7 comments:

Rhian / Crowwoman said...

i really like this series of poems. loved this:
"of deities in small things
chocolate bars or hoop dreams"
sums up my beliefs better than anything else i've ever heard.

Ann said...

Cool poem, and sounds like an interesting experiment.

Vicki said...

I am a writer because the story is me
waking up in the White Forest the
characters of my own subconscious
cast spells say
make it so
every story is a living intelligence
D said
Just because it was all in your mind
doesn’t mean it wasn’t real

I love this part. The entire poem is great but this part found a place inside me. :)

You've such an amazing gift. Thank you for sharing these with us. Parts of you which become parts of us.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Thanks, Rhian - that was my favourite part, too... the idea of deities in small things. i often write about that.

Ann - thanks for stopping by!

Hey Vicki - do you know who "D" is? It's Dumbledore! He's the one who said "just because it was all in your mind..." I think it's hysterical that in my 1/2sleep state I'm quoting Harry Potter in my poems.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

So you dream of Dumbledore? Interesting!

I, too, am taken by the line "I am a writer because the story is in me."

If that doesn't sum up us writers, nothing does.

Vicki said...

I didn't realize that it was Dumbledore. How cool is that.

If this poem is from a 1/2 sleep state...well, you are amazing! But then we already knew that. (vbg)

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Hi Susan, It's actually "the story is me" (I am the story) but it's definitely "in me" too.

I was thinking about this today because I was writing and realized my protagonist's journey (even though it's fantasy adventure) is my own journey. We're in it together.

Vicki - I probably fell asleep reading Harry Potter that night. But I also liked that line in the book. It's perfect for writers!