Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday Poetry Train #6

Since Susan requested to see the rest of this poem, I thought I would oblige her.

This is from a small sequence called "Winter Sonnets," which had no particular rhyme/meter, they were all simply 14 lines long, which many contemporary poets consider "modern sonnets" (sometimes referred to as 14ers). I don't recall any publishing any of them.

Bernadette and Phil are Bernadette Mayer and Phil Good, two poets who were visiting from out of town. This was originally written in late 2001.

moth storms

bernadette and phil watch the
women cooking in the night across
the yard single window lit three sisters
without any love but their own and strong
cooking is intimate sustenance and
bittersweet rosehips drying on the table
waiting for tea the mountain ship of white
in the distance like us luxurious spies
with red wine and a back porch

i have taken shelter of poetry for
granted and forgotten to remember my
dreams but as winter hibernation
introverts my guilty pleasures
bend to let the moth storms in


Have a great week, y'all!


And don't forget to drop by Rhian's Poetry Train.

8 comments:

gautami said...

"i have taken shelter of poetry for
granted and forgotten to remember my
dreams but as winter hibernation
introverts my guilty pleasures
bend to let the moth storms in"


That I can relate to!

julia said...

I love this:
'in the distance like us luxurious spies
with red wine and a back porch'

I always feel that way when I'm passing lit windows and wonder who inhabits that space.

Lisa Andel said...

Reminds me why I draw the curtains at night. Thanks.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Hi Guatami - glad you can relate. I used to write like this alot, where one thought melts into the next so it can be read in different ways.

Julia - me too! And I used to love sitting on my back porch watching the women in back of us cook dinner. It looked so warm and cozy.

Lisa - lol!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, Danika, thanks for posting this! It did live up to expectations. It might have even exceeded them. Let me read it again to see...

Joy Renee said...

this is lovely. i've read it six times and see something different each time. can't pick a favorite line.

Ann said...

Awesome poem. I'm rather fond of sonnets (or at least most of my poems try to be sonnets). Very cool.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Susan - Thanks so much! And thanks also for picking this one. I've always liked it, but never done anything with it.

Joy - thanks for stopping by. yes, that's the effect I wanted, to be able to read it different ways.

Thanks, Ann!