Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #9 - 13 Sad Monkeys


photo by Peter Luck

Thirteen Sad Monkeys

A while back I was doing research for my Howler Monkey screenplay and came across a photo simply labeled "sad monkey." I have always loved monkeys (I was born in the year of the monkey), and the photo moved me so much it haunted me. I kept returning to it and wanting to use it in a writing exercise. Eventually I did a search for "sad monkeys" and below are the results of that search.

I have given credit as much as possible and added links to the original sites. Please do visit the websites from which these came. I have put *'s by particularly interesting or topical sites.



#1 is posted underneath my TT logo. He may simply be contemplative and not sad at all. Hard to tell.


2. The ORIGINAL Sad Monkey. The one that got me started. Photograph by Micah.**





3. From a site called Paradox photos. It looks like a pouting monkey.












4. Photographer unknown. This monkey may be sick with Ebola Virus. I tried to find more info
and couldn't.











5. I love this photo by Pelle Einarsson, whose website contains photos from his work in a Wild Animal Park in Bolivia.**















6. Sad monkey in Panama. Photo by Urs Hauenstein









7. Taken at Toronto Zoo. This photographer's name isn't on his webpage. He has some fabulous images.**









8. How can you not be moved by this photograph posted on the Children and Animal Foundations' Website.*
















9. Photographer unknown










10. More at the Toronto Zoo. Same photographer and website from photo #7
.













11. Posted by a
Wikimedia user known as Jeek C.













12. Posted on Flickr by
Major Clanger.











13. And to end on a semi-cheerful
note, a sad monkey clown. Don't worry - the monkey isn't actually wearing make-up. It's from a contest where artists made clown animals. Strange, yes, I know.



Cheer up and have a great weekend.



19 comments:

MissMeliss said...

Wow, what an interesting concept for a TT. Great photos.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Thanks. I always have such a difficult time dealing with photos on my blog, though. It took me a long time to do.

N.J.Walters said...

Wonderful photos.

Rhian / Crowwoman said...

sad monkeys made me sad. sigh. the one of monkey hugging dog was adorable though.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I have a love-hate relationship with monkeys. They are cute, but man, are they so much like it, it's scary. No, maybe eerie is a better word.

Ann said...

Great photos.

Morgan St. John said...

Beautiful pictures.
thanks for sharing.
Morgan, romance writer and T13er

Denise Patrick said...

Awwwww. Sad little monkeys. But, beautiful pictures.

Happy TT!

Danika / OpenChannel said...

n.j. - thanks for stopping by.

Rhian - yeah, I know. Sad and beautiful at the same time. And I think it's so much more than that, too. It's hard to explain. It's like little Buddhas trapped inside furry bodies.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Susan - Yes, eerie. That's why I became so obsessed with the original Sad Monkey (#2). I see these animals and want to know what's going on inside their heads. Are they sad for themselves, or sad for us? No one can tell me that animals can't get depressed.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Ann, Morgan, Denise -

Thanks for stopping by!

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Those are great pictures--awesome T13!

Lisa Andel said...

Cheer up? After all the sad monkey pictures? Though I do wonder how much we're projecting our own expressions and emotions on them.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Lisa - I'm sure we are projecting, especially since the photos simply capture a moment. For all I know they could simply have some indigestion. They just appear so contemplative and there's no way for us to know! It's the ones behind bars that get to me. I don't do zoos much, I find them depressing.

Vicki said...

I think this may be one of my favorite T13's.

I love the one with the dog. And #4 I just want to take home and make all better. I know that's not realistic but still...

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Vicki-

It's the nurturer in you. :-) I know what you mean.

The monkey looks like he's comforting the dog, doesn't he? I found another photo and a short article about a monkey who was protecting a kitten from a chicken attack.

Erin said...

I don't know...they don't look sad to me. More like they are deep in thought. (or maybe I prefer to think that). No sad monkey!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time of sharing the pictures of one of natures most beautiful animals.

Did you know there is no monkey lovers group on Facebook? at least I could not find one.

If you do, write me

arsteatr at gmail.com

Rubys Inn Bryce can said...

I like to read it. Great effort by the author, Appreciative really work. I hope every one in future will love and protected the monkeys give them Appropriate Lodging.