Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Monday Poetry Train #7

Here's an unpublished one I found in my journal from our honeymoon in Greece. I've always liked it, though have never been quite satisfied with it. Suggestions welcome! Tell me what's working and what's not.

(BTW - if the spacing seems off, it's because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the tabs and spaces into blogspot - it always leaves them out! Grrrrrr!)


phobia

after too much food and drink
I take a walk in the night
while my husband does dishes
I turn down a dark street not
frightened by the dark street we are in
Platanes, Crete and the most dangerous thing
I can think of
is the uncertain sidewalk

a motorcycle takes the corner - heads
directly intentionally for me
and at the last second veers and speeds away
there isn’t any laughter
I could be less frightened
if there were laughter

back at our hotel prepared
with my motorcycle story
I find my husband on the floor
keep your shoes on he says I dropped a wine bottle
and there are shards in every corner
of the room - this is his fear
right now he is frightened by bits of glass

I keep my shoes on while we prepare for bed
no longer the motorcycle engine in my head
or its light blinding my eyes

when flying in planes with my husband
I figure one of us should not be afraid
as the plane dips I take
his damp hand and smile

I am frightened sometimes by herds of animals
of the way they all move at once
one thought becomes all thought
all thought becomes sudden

I am not frightened by cherry blossoms
although they are just as sudden
and of one mind but I’ve never
had to jump out of their way

and when they drop on stone floors
it is merely fragrant snow


April 5, 2004


Ride Rhian's Poetry Train! Yee-hah!

5 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

This is really cool, Danika, because it starts off so disturbing and ends on such a lovely, floating note. And I mean REALLY disturbing. Wow.

Julia said...

Agree with Susan, bit frighten but really good at the end. Great job!

You're the 2nd place winner from my "Julia's Birthday Wish Contest" from last week. If you could just pick another book, and than email me, than I will sent your prize to you. Thanks!

Vicki said...

Jill James tagged me with a meme on books and so I've tagged you. I promise to not tagged you again for awhile. :)

Check it out on my blog.

Vicki said...

Where's the T13??? I wanna know which was character and which was you. :D

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Hi Susan! Wow, thanks. Well, the motorcycle incident was disturbing and it triggered thoughts about things I'm afraid of. Including flying and animals herds.