Monday, November 12, 2007

Monday Poetry Train #11

Ha! It's 2 minutes to midnight, still technically Monday. Just under the gun. Jumping on the train.

This week's Poetry Train entry was inspired by Poefusion's Friday Five. Michelle lists 5 words each week and our job is to write a poem using those five words. Sound easy? You should see the words she picks each week! She's making us work for it, that's for sure.

Love Us

I have arranged my heart with you
a formation of willows, bending
bedward we are
bedouins lingering in
vagile dreams we require
request, conquest, each
crepuscular creation means
we see each other anew
as plural us, our
nation, kin against
the hierarchy of history
loyal and free
nomadic across the we


words this week: vagile, plural, formation, willow, crepuscular

8 comments:

julia said...

I literally said 'Wow' out loud to my husband when I got to the end of your poem. Danika, I'm so glad you joined the Poetry Train! Your closing lines really touch me deeply:
'we see each other anew
as plural us, our
nation, kin against
the hierarchy of history
loyal and free
nomadic across the we'

Michelle Johnson said...

Danika, you have done a very nice job here with the words. I, too, like the ending. Keep up the good work.

Have a nice day.

Erica Ridley said...

Oooh, love it! Very, very nice.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Those ARE hard words. Wow. I had to look a few of them up.

The poem, though, is lovely. It's got this great, upbeat pace and voice yet the images are romantic and luxurious. Very cool.

Jill said...

I raise my hat to you, because I know it would probably take me like a month to work out something with those 5 words!!

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Julia - thanks a bunch. I think that's the best a poet (or any writer, for that matter) can hope for, that someone finishes the piece and goes "wow" when they are done.

Michelle - thanks for inspiring with the words and for the challenge of them, too.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Thanks, Erica and Susan for your comments.

Jill - oh, I'm sure you could do it! I had a great time with it.

Jo said...

I love the breathless rhythm and how that communicates the feelings!