Sunday, March 9, 2008

Monday Poetry Train - I'm back! (again)

Hello Poetry Trainers... boy have I have a few crazy weeks. As you know, I was producing the annual Women In Film Festival, which ended last night at our Spotlight Awards Gala. This on top of my day job, made for a string of 14, 16, even 18 hour days. Whew!

In the middle of all this, my computer went KAPUT! I thought all my poetry was lost, but a friend saved my hard drive (NOTE: backup your hard drive on a regular basis, people!)

I dug my old PC out of storage and am writing on that now. Feels so archaic, haha. It's about eight years old.

In honour of my old 'puter, I dug up an eight year old poem, never published (never happy with it I guess), written while I was living in Prague. I was writing poetry pretty much everyday while I lived there. Wow, it all seems a lifetime ago...

Prague, CZ
July 28, 2000

i’ve attached myself
to the way space
opens up

when everything flames

carries you away to burn

in a new direction for a while

last night we cooked fancy meals
veggie burgers rice wine greek salad ice cream
with blueberries strong coffee
in the morning omelets with creamed spinach
for late lunch blueberry pancakes and
in that determination bought bus tickets for Split
craving at least one day of sun and beach
for all the dark rainy days July has brought

suddenly i’m on vacation
or pre-writing as Bernadette calls it
which is anything you do when you’re
not writing

it's all about mortality
or why we need to love
i’ve become afraid of flying
smoking cigarettes instead
there is so much smoking time here
it passes the meantimes between rational fears


Have a great week, everyone!

8 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

This deviates from concrete to surrealism. I like it. Vivid images in the mind.

Teeny Poet said...

Feel free to post some of your poetry on my website if you want. It would be an honor.

Julia Smith said...

'suddenly i’m on vacation
or pre-writing as Bernadette calls it
which is anything you do when you’re
not writing'

LOL!! Yes, I've been doing a lot of that lately with my novel...

Ah, 18 hour days. Those sound fun. But I'm sure your film festival was more than worth it.

artpredator said...

this is the perfect poem after your crazy making week of long but exciting days--much like the gastronomic stuffing in the poem!

i esp love the end--the last 2 stanzas --the whole has a 315 quality to it,yes?

i wish you were closer--i'm doing films today--true west and into the wild in my 2 classes and since you get a third film when you rent 2, i have darjeeling limited...marshall is sacked out--wish you were here to crash out with me, drink wine and watch a flick!!

Michelle Johnson said...

Hadn't stopped by for awhile and thought that I would say hello. I love your poem. It was worth the stop just to read your words. I hope things slow down a bit for you. Also hope your computer is up and running soon. I can't stand it when I don't have my computer. Have a nice night.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Hey thanks, ladies.

Julia - I was happy to rediscover that line "suddenly i’m on vacation
or pre-writing as Bernadette calls it
which is anything you do when you’re
not writing"

Pre-writing! So that's what I've been doing!

Danika / OpenChannel said...

AP -

I think most of the poems I wrote in Prague have a 315 quality them. It was a surreal experience.

I wish you were closer, too! You must come visit soon, I came down there last time. :-)

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Michelle -

Still waiting for the computer gods to bestow me with a new laptop. In the meantime, I'm "computer surfing."