Sunday, April 27, 2008

Monday Poetry Train - from the singed mouth of poetry

I just got back from Burning Word, the "festival of poetic fire," over on Whidbey Island in Washington State. My husband was a good sport and came with me, sitting in on an impressive number of poetry readings for a non-poet. We were pretty full by the end of the day.

This festival has a special place in my heart simply due to the number of people from my past who haunt it. It's always a reunion. This year I marveled over how many of them I've known for 10 or more years. Anne Waldman, Judith Roche, Paul Hunter, Paul Nelson, Clarice Keegan, Heather Haley, Charles Potts, Amalio Madueno... und so weiter... so many more I can't even list. Cheers to you all for being a part of the who I am now.

I had the pleasure of MCing the Vancouver stage & open mic and one of the workshops. I wrote the following poem in that workshop, although it's already been through a few incarnations.

losing the hammer-will

we have no will
to hammer the hills
tell each other as
drakes chase ducks
around the pond
and into the parking lot

angels in loose clothing
hum fatly the drums
of breath
groping half-baked
in the day - -
industryless


Hop on the Poetry Train and have a super week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, "hammer the hills," etc. Good stuff. Feeling is mutual Danika and it's always good to see you.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Once again, this is way over my head, but I like the visuals of hammering hills and drakes chasing ducks.

*sigh*

You always make me think hard, and I appreciate it.

Julia Smith said...

This is great:

'angels in loose clothing
hum fatly the drums
of breath'

'Humming fatly' is such a rich image. And I love hearing about your reunion with old poet friends. Old friends are so precious.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Hi anon and ladies.

susan, the trick is to figure out how to read it. :-) i'm fond of poems that change meaning in mid-sentence as one reads...

it's just about taking the day off and enjoying it. the angels are the poets at the festival.

julia, yeah, i was kinda partial to "hum fatly" - don't know where that came from. haha.

artpredator said...

yep "hum fatly" i love it and love the turn "the drums/of breath"

must have been fun fun fun to see everyone! i am missing the festival magic

i wonder how spam and scott are!

Danika / OpenChannel said...

spam and scott! how I miss them!