Monday, June 23, 2008

Monday Poetry Train

I just got back from a weekend reunion with several of my best friends from college. We all turned 40 recently. We've known each other for 22 years, and even when we don't see each other for a long time, it's like no time has passed at all.

The job of a writer is to capture these moments in words and I feel humbled by the task. Words really aren't enough. I want to return to this later and do it justice. For now, this is the fresh version.

Reunion

once together we
hummingbirds and flamingos
dance on the
dessert buffet
twenty-two times around the sun
pressing the rough parts free
the wrinkles and scars
musical notes on the agenda
of repeating the memories
that made us

artistry in life is play my
playmates my moulin rouge
my circle unbroken my song
my mother my poet my
once
together in the california sun
tears in our bloody marias
pull my finger jesus smiles
pull my finger and
shut the door

together
at once we children
hold hands at the zoo
in line for the night train
making home where we land
together once there
is no going back we
return to our dream
what is real what
is real our once together
lifetime

1 comment:

artpredator said...

your poem conveys your joy to be together and how important the "we"--the way the word is placed throughout the poem calls attention to how important it is to be we sometimes

speaking of we, what's up with 315? i know i still haven't written that now we're done letter... we lost steam!

and wasn't there talk about a 315 gathering? was that 9/08 or 8/08 or 8/09?