Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Friday Five on Tuesday

Better late then never, right? I'm working my way back to blogging more. I have to shape up because I was invited to participate in the upcoming Poetry Bloggers Conference (more info as it comes!).


The poem below was inspired by my recent trip to Hawaii, where I swam with sea turtles, and missed my husband back home.


gypsotheque

untidying the line between breath
and spirit
our nightly sculptures mock
dark matter
enter the
light of eternal sunshine
transformed via
our bliss
bedroom sighs
we rise
again and again
flying over pele’s mountain
woozy with love
plain and simple

words only jumble the treasure of it
all so godish
a connection of sea turtles
bidding aloha to brackish waters
our tears and kindnesses
mixing gesso on which
we overlay
their sun-kissed skins


FRIDAY FIVE words last week:

sculpture
gesso
plain
woozy
jumble

7 comments:

artpredator said...

i like this one a lot, danika.

it's got a great rhythm to it! and i love the image of the nightly sculptures

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Thanks, A.P.

I'm feeling inspired lately. :-)

S.L. Corsua said...

I agree with artpredator's comment. ;) The beat in this poem carries excitement; yes, bliss. I like the word choice and play, too. Cheers.

Michelle Johnson said...

Nothing like a trip to refresh the mind to writing again. This is a great tribute to swimming with the sea turtles, Danika. I can't imagine the thrill you must have had. Welcome home. And, happy writing. Your poem was truly magical. Have a nice day.

Sam Basi said...

It reminds me of walking home after a LONG day, then finally being able to relax.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Hey, Sam! Thanks for stopping by.

dd

Danika / OpenChannel said...

thanks for the kind words, Michelle. Your Friday five is one of my favourite writing exercises. It's so simple, I usually learn a new word (which I love!), and it creates language in a way I might not have done before.