Monday, December 29, 2008

Monday Poetry Purge*

*purge
a: to clear of guilt

b
: to free from moral or ceremonial defilement
c
: to cause evacuation from (as the bowels)

I've been typing up my 2008 3:15 Experiment poems. I'm hoping to get them finished before spring. If you have never heard of the 3:15 Experiment... well I just don't know if I can talk to you any more. (it's a collaborative writing experiment, it's annual, it's insane)

I came across this one and really liked how it merged my waking life / job, dreams, odd lists, and a bit of advice (both practical and unprovoked). It is here, unedited, in pure 3:15 form, as the experiment is about writing from / exploring the hypnogogic state.

August 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC

Let’s all give ourselves a raise
all under promoted underplayed
artists report to the promenade deck
time for lawn bowling, sushi
and photos with loved ones

Celebration is a necessary component
to breathing
festivities, fireworks, fondue
should not be kept on a shelf
in the back drawer, coated
with dust. Admire your success
open the windows let it be known

It’s 3 months until winter
keep the hula skirt dry martinis
in china glasses mini umbrellas in our soup
ice sculptures shaped like ducks
cats w/impossibly soft pillows
rites of passage shuffleboard
sun setting over the hills horizons like
white elephants name your poison
name your game—name your baby
take away the name and what’s left?
the essence of what is
breath, celebration, light of our
lives we trust each other
only because we love
to give in, give away
we love to not be in charge
take us away people of the moon
people of the asteroids people
giant-like and forgiving.

5 comments:

gel(Emerald Eyes) said...

I'll need to read 'bout this 3:15 project.
Meanwhile, welcome waves ~~~~ to Poetry train!
Enjoyed your piece; it give rise to lots of thoughts- enjoyed the visuals and the different form (to me)

I want to hold your hand

Danika / OpenChannel said...

hey gel - yes, do read about 3:15 and join us next year!

thanks for stopping by.

gautami tripathy said...

Good to see you joining it.

Love the flow and narration here. I must check out 3:15 project!

Have a great creative year 2009!

playing for pleasing the moon

angie said...

a sweet ride, this!
I like your breathing style.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

thanks angie... breath means much to me a a writer.

thanks for popping in.